The stability and efficiency of cryptocurrency mining depend on the model of the router for mining and its settings. Knowing which Internet is suitable, what equipment to use and how to set it up is worth knowing.
Features of the Internet for mining
Connection requirements – stability and reliability. Connection speed does not affect mining as much as ping. The lower the response in milliseconds, the faster the data exchange between the equipment and the mining pool server.
All types of communication are available for mining coins:
- Modems 2G, 3G, 4G. With a satisfactory connection quality, the average ping of a cellular provider does not exceed 30 m/s, and this is enough to mine any cryptocurrency, regardless of the protocol.
- Dedicated local connection. The connection is fast, with an average ping of 15-20 m / s. The most common option.
- Dedicated fibre optic line. This is the fastest type of network, with an average ping of 8-10 m/s. Suitable for simultaneous operation of dozens of farms.
- Dial-up or ADSL connection. This solution is the least stable of all. Ping can exceed 50 m / s, and the connection periodically breaks. If there are no other options, then a single farm application is acceptable.
The optimal ping indicator should be considered 10-50 m / s. Anything higher leads to data transfer delays and downtime, which reduces the miner’s income level.
Mining equipment does not require a high-speed connection – 1 Mbps is enough for the stable operation of one or two farms. It is more important to ensure the continuity of the connection and uninterrupted power supply to all equipment.
Criteria for choosing a router for mining
You must immediately discard the models from the initial segment when choosing a router. They will not be able to work stably. It is more expedient to use routers from the professional or office segment. The main thing is to take into account the following parameters:
- Availability of external Wi-Fi antennas for wireless communication. A powerful transmitter and good coverage are the main requirements if the equipment will be connected via Wi-Fi.
- Availability of LAN ports according to the number of connected devices. This will eliminate intermediate devices, improving the network’s quality and stability.
- Connection of a backup communication channel. The most common scheme is optics or a network cable + USB connector for an external modem. If the main channel is unavailable, you can connect to the network by switching to a backup USB modem.
For the router to not freeze in distributing the Internet, it must have at least 64 MB of RAM with a CPU frequency of at least 400 MHz. If the device is actively used even in the home network, its characteristics should be twice as high.
Wi-Fi routers from BITMAIN
Devices from the Chinese developer of mining equipment BITMAN not only distribute the network but also provide additional income through mining on the router. For example, the AntRouter R3 Wi-Fi router supports the mining of Dash and Siacoin coins and issues a hashrate of up to 23 Mhash / sec (R3-DASH) or 11.54 Ghash / sec (R3-SIA).
The router works like a regular Wi-Fi router and consumes no more than 25 watts of electricity in full load mode. At a cost at the level of equipment of the middle and office segment, the device from BITMAN is a functional solution for connecting a farm to the Internet.
Setting up an Internet router for cryptocurrency mining
Setting up a network router includes several essential items:
- Port forwarding to the farm. For this, its fixed IP address is set. Then, in the router’s firewall settings, you need to forward the ports.
- Automatic switching between Internet providers. This item is relevant if you need a model connected to two different providers. This setting will automatically cause the equipment to switch to another provider when there are connection problems.
- Setting up a wireless network at 5 GHz. At this frequency, Wi-Fi is less congested so that the connection will be more stable, and the ping between the router and the farm will be minimal.
These are basic network policy settings that are set when using network equipment at the same time. In them, the highest priority is cryptocurrency mining traffic, which will help not to interrupt the process when the channel is fully loaded.
When choosing a router for mining, you need to pay attention to the stability of work, giving preference to office, professional or specialized solutions. Setting up the device correctly and choosing a reliable provider are essential. Then downtime of mining equipment will be minimal, and its products will be maximum.
Leave a Reply